Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Weekend Observations


This past weekend I went to Medford to hang out with a few friends from college. Saturday night, we went to Hurricane O'Reilly's. Nightclubs are not my forte but I wasn't really throwing out any better ideas. For most of the night, I enjoyed a bevy of fun activities. Often times I was standing in close proximity to the group I came with. The music was far too loud to talk, and none of us are any good at dancing with girls, so there wasn't much action going on. This is undoubtedly my main concern when forced to "club." The whole atmosphere should be prefaced with a "Non-Ballers need not apply" style advisory. Going to semi-formal and homecoming dances were far more fun than this solely because there was a place to go and sit down when standing up sucked. But I was there, and I was stuck there.

At no age will I be bored with personal games; private competitions and adventures I put myself through simply hoping that some form of entertainment (for me) ensues. Saturday night's game was of the simpler variety. There was no intended goal. I just chose the thickest and most dense portion of the people on the dance floor, and walked in between everyone. I bumped into just about everyone, made eye contact with others, and had many of those awkward passing moments where two people need to go in opposite directions, but continue to motion to the same path, and then nearly bump into each other about 3 or 4 times in a row, until finally, the alpha human involved, definitively marks a course for either him/herself, or adamantly urges the other person to pass. This happened to me a lot in the halls of school. When this happens to me, I have a witty comment at my disposal to ease the tension of the moment. I am not going to share it with you, but I came up with it about 10 years ago, and will probably be using it 10 years from now. The club was too loud for this, but I wasn't out there to tell jokes. I like to picture myself as Catherine Zeta Jones in the movie Entrapment when Sean Connery's character trains her to maneuver, nimbly through the infrared wires that were guarding a priceless Chinese mask. Only in my case, once I maneuvered to the other side of the dance floor, there was less of an ancient artifact, and more of a sudden realization that I'm very drunk and all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment